Tuesday, January 10, 2017

God Bless Us, Every One


Merry Christmas, Y'all. 

We did our traditional Christmas Eve activity where we put on the pajamas Peg Peg sent, and I drag out some of my studio lights and I trade you one present for five minutes of posing and good behavior:






Hagen has been really into Pokemon lately...he loves that they are little monsters that can evolve into different monsters, and they come with an honest-to-God handbook detailing which fictional creature has which imaginary powers, and I know this because I've ordered more than one copy and the boy falls asleep reading it every single night. One thing about Hagen: He loves specs. 


As a fun, super-cheap project, I ordered an assortment of 48 mini Pokemon figures (meant to be cupcake toppers), then I put each one in a leftover plastic easter egg and colored the Pokemon logo on each one with a Sharpie. Total cost: $6. I'm sure I don't need to tell you I coulda spent that six bucks and called it a day on Christmas for Hagen.

He opened it, and it blew his little mind and then he put them in a plastic bin and slept with them. 


Christmas morning went exactly as it has every year since Hagen was added to the mix. Laney immediately and enthusiastically opened all of her presents (including this Moana dress-up outfit).


Hagen had to be coaxed into opening presents, and when he did, he wanted to play with each one for the recommended 2- to 3-hour Montessori work period.


This makes Laney BONKERS.

About three hours into the festivities, your dad told me to "take a picture of what Hagen's opened so far." See below: one set of markers, one triceratops, one Lego mini building set and one mini flashlight.


...and then he went back to organizing his Pokemon figures from the night before with the help of his new flashlight. Reverse progress. 



As in years past, we ended up letting Laney open the last of Hagen's gifts and present them to him like a game show hostess. Everyone's happy...well, Laney's happy. Hagen doesn't care either way.

The biggest gift of the day went to your dad, who received a PlayStation and lots of games. From what I understand, he's going to have lots of downtime in a sad plywood bunk room in the Middle East, but they do have wifi, so I wanted him to have something he could watch Netflix on, or play games with. Something - anything - to make the time go faster.



Laney was a PlayStation master (literally) right out of the box. It was amazing to watch her learn how to use the controller. She and her dad had found a common interest and spent a lot of time this holiday playing Jurassic World.



I got bear spray in my stocking. What every Montana girl asks Santa for. 

 

I got to watch you all put together LEGO sets, and chase digital dinosaurs and we all played board games. 


Every minute of it priceless, because your dad was there to share it. 

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment