Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Scooting Through September



Hey, y'all -

The last two months of your dad's deployment were so busy, the time flew by.

Laney handed down her old scooter to Hagen, and he took to it right away, which shocked everyone who had ever heard him complain about things with wheels, having to exercise, and being outside.



The first few weeks on the scooter, his technique was a little bizarre. He probably could have walked faster - he never actually scooted - and it took all I could do not to push him down the street. 

I wanted to shoot a little video of his scootering style, but first he asked me to move out of the way (safety first). 


I didn't subtitle this (BECAUSE I'M BUSY, PEOPLE), but he says:

"...This way, I won't run into you."
(rolls over teeny stick) "AAAAHH!! I just crashed into something! That was close, close, close."

But within a few weeks, he took us all by surprise when he started performing death-defying feats of speed. 


About a week after this, his scooter was stolen from our yard and I cried because my quirky little boy'd finally found something he loved and had it taken away. It's probably good I'm not an all-powerful deity, because I would arrange a special area in hell for scooter stealers. It would be in the same neighborhood as the eternal holding pen for people on airplanes who don't wait for it to be their turn to deplane. IT GOES IN ROW ORDER, PEOPLE. 

I bought him a new one on Amazon, and he's still out there, tearing it up when there isn't too much snow on the ground.

Laney continued climbing, practicing with her ropes and knots and generally being fearless way off the ground.





As we watched the clock run down on your dad's deployment, we filled our days with the normal stuff of life. 

Hagen went through a two-week period of insisting he was part draco lizard, which I had to look up.


The weather turned colder, so Hagen started bundling up, while Laney continued to wear sundresses and complain about the 50-degree heat.


Hagen continued drawing robot circuitry on the fridge in dry erase marker, and Laney continued her "Top Chef" - inspired baking. 



...and then one day, your dad's stuff started arriving on our front porch. We checked: he wasn't in the case. But still, progress!


Love,
Mom









No comments:

Post a Comment