Sunday, December 20, 2020

2020, A LOOK BACK: MAY

 Hey, y'all - 

We entered May with a house full of folks and a broken-down bathroom. 


When we bought the house, the downstairs bathroom looked like this:



There was this book Oprah was talking up about a decade ago called The Secret. And the idea behind it is if you put your desires and wants out there in the universe, good karma will come back to you (or something) and you'll get what you want. I made a joke in our Christmas card last year - which is my version of "putting it out the universe" - about how I was waiting on your dad to remodel our damn bathrooms, and look! I was getting two new bathrooms in just a few short months! Maybe that hippie crap works! 

Your dad and Grandpops demolished everything down to the studs and built me a new marble shower and custom built-in vanity with wood trim. And then Tex came in and gave everything a few coats of paint. And now that bathroom looks like this:






Nice work, gentlemen!

_________________


I suspect Peg Peg and Tex were starting to have enough of hanging out with people who always smell like drywall dust and are crazy enough to jump right into the same lake people were ice fishing on a few weeks ago. 


I think it was around this time that your grandparents started googling "How...fast...can...we...get...to...Florida..."


We (honestly, sincerely) tried to talk them into staying, but they needed to check on their house and get home before the expected second wave of the virus hit. It was the smart move, but we missed them all the same.

_________________


In a normal year, my favorite thing to do on Mother's Day is go shopping and take the day off from being a mom (I give it my all the other 364 days, so I like to think of Mother's Day as my one day of counter programming). This year it wasn't possible, so Laney asked me what I would do if I could do anything in the world, and I said "Probably have a date night with your dad."

So Laney threw me a date night. 



We got dressed up to sit in our dining room and she made us four courses, including shrimp cocktail on a cracker and it was the cutest, most special dinner I'd ever attended. 


After dessert, she presented Thor with a bill for five billion dollars. Then I reminded her that I had given birth to all 11.6 pounds of her, and she wisely decided to comp our meal. 


Excellent service and delicious food. I'll be back to this establishment. 

Love,
Mom



No comments:

Post a Comment