Saturday, December 6, 2014

Feedback


Hey y'all, 

You both had parent-teacher conferences a few weeks ago. 

First up was Laney. I was a little nervous, just because this was to be your first evaluation by a "real" teacher at a "real" school. Kindergarten is usually the first time a child is thrown in with lots of other kids of varying backgrounds and skills, and I was anxious to find out - as a parent - if we'd done everything we could to prepare you for success in the classroom. I didn't want to hear that you were the kid who spent recess huffing glue under the bleachers.

Laney, your teacher raved about you. Called you her "most mature" student. Said you're a delight to have in the classroom. "You know," I wanted to whisper, "She has a dark side." But I didn't, because let's face it, I was super proud of you. So proud, in fact, that I told you you could pick any treat you wanted as a reward for being a great student. You chose a trip to Cracker Barrel for macaroni and cheese. And it should tell you just how proud I was that I didn't say, "Okay, anything but THAT."


I was on such a parent/teacher high that I threw in a stop at Dairy Queen.


We called your grandmother Peg Peg to tell her the good news. "Mmm Hmmm," she said. "Call me after Hagen's." Your grandmother is one of those "Don't count your chickens..." types.

The next day was Hagen's conference. I was met by a panel of FIVE teachers at a miniature table, and I was instructed to sit in the 9" plastic chair across from them. "Is it just me?" I asked, "Or does this seem a little like Fisher Price My First Inquisition?"

Then these lovely ladies told me everything I already knew: Hagen doesn't really care about participating in circle time or group mayhem. He wants to pick a project and take it in the corner and work with it until he's figured it out. He's very logical and methodical and extremely intelligent and loves puzzles and anything with moving parts, but he'd prefer to work on things in his own space, in peace. Though he does join us for lunch." "I love driving across town to have people describe my husband to me," I said. They described Hagen as always sweet and calm. Then one teacher said, "We have this other student who's anti-social...not that Hagen is anti-social!" she quickly clarified. "Nice save," I said. "...But this girl and Hagen like to take their things over there in that corner and work next to each other." "So that's the lab?" I asked. 

They did say that Hagen loves to come out of his corner when it's time to dance. "He really likes to boogie!" Miss Cassidy said. "Well, his sister's been teaching dance classes in our living room for years and forcing him to attend as her only student, so it's probably a Stockholm thing."

In any case, another great teacher meeting. Hooray!

Although this is supposed to be a post about your teachers' feedback, here's something I'VE noticed about you, Hagen: For a two year-old, you're extremely empathetic. 

Just the other day, Laney had a full-on hissy fit over nothing. Not being allowed to watch Kung Fu Panda 2, or something equally eyeroll-worthy. She stormed upstairs in a huff. You looked at us and said, "Ooh! She so ang-wee! Is okay! I talk uh her!" And you followed her upstairs and climbed up to where she had taken to her bed in abject despair. And you talked to her about Lord knows what. But whatever it was seemed to work. 



Thanks for being such incredible little people. 

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment