Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Wallace


Hey y'all - 

SO MUCH to catch up on. 

December was great around these parts.

The weekend after school let out, we went to Wallace, Idaho with a bunch of friends to spend the night, and do some skiing and sledding. 

Wallace is an old mining town, where guys in the bars still talk about the going rate for silver over beers. In many ways, it looks like the clock stopped in Wallace sometime around 1968. 





Laney seems determined to learn how to ski, which is great. She was totally jazzed to learn that she's now old enough to get her own ID badge for the ski resort. 


A side benefit to all these ski lessons is your dad has probably burned a million calories hauling Laney's butt all over the mountain.


A few months ago, I was shopping online at a discount outdoor gear and clothing website, when I saw a pair of water-resistant, quilted, lined, bright pink Carhartt overalls. Only pair left was a petite large for $35. Heck, yes. They are huge and obnoxious and make me look like a retro sofa, and I. Do. Not. Care...because they are also the most comfortable thing I have ever owned. Plus, if I accidentally ski off the side of the mountain, search and rescue will be able to find my ass in a jiffy. And when you misbehave as a teenager, I will wear them to chaperone the homecoming dance. 


Since you guys were first able to talk, one of the most oft-uttered phrases in our house has been "No! Mom do it!" I've been your go-to choice for everything from cutting your food into bite-sized pieces to changing your diapers to reading your bedtime stories*. This has made your dad feel like a sad understudy. But now, he has found his time to shine, because when I offered to take Laney on a run down the bunny hill, she skied away from me to get back to her dad, because I am now an inferior choice.

Or it could be the overalls. 


"Don't go! I'm still awesome!"

Aside from skiing, we enjoyed walking around the town and going sledding on the newly-fallen snow.


Jude & Finley's dad

Watch out, Wallace!

Gimme all your Frankincense






Grandma Sue even volunteered to stay in and watch ALL the young'uns so the grown-ups could go out for a wild night on the town. 


Wallace: Where the internet's always down, last call is at 7:30pm, and even the taxidermy is festive.


Love,
Mom

* My degree's the Theatre. His is in something scienc-y. This is a no-brainer.






No comments:

Post a Comment