Friday, June 26, 2015

The Tooth Fairy Can't Catch A Break


Dear Laney,

A few weeks ago, we were invited over to our friend Correy's house for dinner. As usual, you went upstairs to play with her daughter Abby. Fun night had by all.

Then...

The next morning, Correy texted me pictures of Abby's room. Seems the two of you decided to draw on Abby's bedroom walls with crayon. I was mortified, because you know better. I offered to march you right over there to help clean it up, but they were on their way out of town. Instead, I told you that you would need to use your tooth fairy money to buy Miss Correy some Magic Erasers to scrub the crayon off her walls.

You marched to the trampoline, zipped yourself in the safety net, and started dramatically sobbing. Your dad and I rolled our eyes, because if one is going to have an emotional meltdown, a trampoline in the middle of the yard is a ridiculous choice. I mean, I don't consider myself a mental health expert, but I'm pretty sure that if you're truly despondent, you don't go looking for an elevated stage.

You covered your eyes with your arms and wailed to the neighborhood things like, "I could have bought SO MUCH HOT CHOCOLATE with that money!" It would not surprise me if I one day discovered that our backyard neighbors have a live Twitter feed on occasions like this. #FirstWorldProblems. #FreeLaney.

 You came in from the trampoline an hour later, and told your dad, "I think this other tooth is loose now." And he reached in your mouth AND PULLED IT OUT. You grinned. "Now I don't have to give up all my tooth fairy money, because I have NEW tooth fairy money."

$#!%.

The tooth fairy can't catch a break.




The next morning, you sat down and wrote an apology note to Correy:

"I am sorry that I drew on your walls. Laney"

You folded it up and put it in an envelope, and were supposed to include a $5 bill for Magic Erasers. As we were headed out the door to school, I happened to ask, "Hey - where's that $20 that Peg Peg and Tex sent you to sponsor your Fun Run?" "Oh," you said, "I couldn't find that five-dollar bill, so I just put the twenty in there."

"WE ARE NOT GIVING MISS CORREY TWENTY DOLLARS." What I didn't scream, but wanted to: "I can't BELIEVE you spent an hour sobbing in a damn trampoline over five dollars, just so you could turn around and give up twenty because you're too lazy to walk upstairs."

Of course, we all know how this story ends. Miss Correy invited us out for ice cream two days later, and magically pulled the $5 out of her purse and used it to buy you a large cone. 

#IGiveUp. 

Love,

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment