Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Kim and Jamie's Wedding


Hey y'all, 

Last month, I had the chance to go down to Nashville and meet up with Peg Peg and Tex for the weekend to attend my friend Kim's wedding. Our moms (Peg n' Pat) have been best friends for years. 

Kim let me help her with her programs, so for a while our kitchen was a craft headquarters that you children were not allowed to enter. I hand-painted all 70 of those suckers, and it was totally worth it because they turned out great. (Not to toot my own horn, but toot toot.) 




On our first night in Nashville, your grandparents and I decided we would split up for a few hours so I could meet up with an old friend from my Nashville Star days. As my friend Liz and I were enjoying a drink on a restaurant patio, I looked up and discovered my parents were sitting on a bench across the street, just waiting on me to be done. I call this photo "The Life Of An Only Child:"


Just kidding. That is actually a picture of my mother checking her phone because I just sent her a text that read: "I can see y'all. You might as well come over here so I can buy you a drink." So they joined us, and my mother ordered a pomegranate margarita. This was a dicey proposition, because as the comedian Ron White says, southern women have a tendency to get a few drinks in 'em and say things like, "Here's another thing you don't know about YOU..."


...But the only fallout from that margarita was we went to a schmancy new "farm to table" restaurant (my idea) and ordered a bizarre $30 veggie plate.


Or, as this story will go down in family history: "Remember that time Peg Peg drank a margarita and accidentally ordered 4 kinds of cornbread and it cost us $120?" Seriously, she somehow forgot that hominy cakes and hard water cornbread and corn fritters and grits are all basically the same thing. But I think she remembered on her way out of the restaurant, because I heard her moan, "I never want to look at corn again."

Kim and her wedding were absolutely beautiful. (I wasn't her photographer, but really enjoyed taking some extra pictures of the day).


Kim even looked radiant and serene when I told her that if I saw anyone putting one of my programs in the trash, I was going to punch them in the nose.






I'm so glad I got the chance to be there for the start of Kim and Jamie's new life together, and the end of the romance for Peg Peg and corn. 

Love,
Mom



No comments:

Post a Comment