Monday, May 23, 2016

Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better


Hey y'all -

Your dad and I are competitive with each other, but only in the dumbest of ways.

We never try to one-up each other when it comes to career or money or even who's smarter because 1) That'd be toxic for any marriage and 2) We're so completely different there'd be no point. We're each brilliant in our own equal and opposite ways, although I can't balance a checkbook and he doesn't understand subject/verb agreement.



Instead, we reserve our competitive impulses for ridiculous tests of physical endurance or plainly stupid feats of strength.  We once tried to make paddleboard jousting a thing (only one of us was smart enough to wear a life jacket). Walking home from date night, we'll be two blocks from home when your dad will suddenly say, "Race ya!" We've done spouse vs spouse paddleboard relays. At a party last week, your dad did a pull-up on the tree house, so I had to do a flip on Laney's rings. (Sprained my toe. Still worth it.)

At the lake a few weekends ago, the water was freezing cold, but your dad jumped in, so I had to dive in behind him.


I came home from "Buzzed Yoga" at the brewery - this is Missoula, so you know I'm not making that up...yoga class and a pint for $10! - bragging about how I had done a handstand on a hill. 


...so the following weekend, your dad did one on the paddleboard.


We are short, wide, middle-aged people who have no business acting like this, but boy is being married to your dad a ton of fun. 

I know - we're ridiculous. We're embarrassing. 

We're your parents. 



You're welcome. 

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment