Tuesday, August 30, 2011

"Boat, Please."



Dear Laney,


Your grandparents have only been here a few days, and you already seem to have them wrapped around your pudgy little finger.


Exhibit A: That tractor.




Exhibit B: I overheard Grandpops playing along and guessing aloud when Go, Diego, Go wanted to review the qualities of the pygmy marmoset. For the uninitiated, Diego is Dora the Explorer's cousin, only he's an animal rescuer, so every episode is about an obscure animal he's trying to save. There is dialogue on the show like, "Is this a crocodile or a caiman?" and I find myself saying to the TV, "Who the hell knows, Diego?"




Exhibit C: Grandpops and Grandma CC took you to the carousel so you could RISE ORSE! RIDE ORSE! and let you ride it six times in a row, or - as Grandpops described it - "until I thought I was going to be sick." This is why, when I watch a spinning carousel topped with grandparents, I secretly call it, "Suckers in a Circle."








Grandma CC also rode the carousel with you, but Grandpops is not as adept at photography... although he did manage to shoot a few really good pictures of a random Korean teenager on a horse. I'll include that tidbit here in case there's a mother out there googling, "Random + Korean + Teenager + Missoula + Carousel." Give me a call, lady; I can hook you up.


Yesterday, you and I were playing on the swing when our neighbors drove by, toting a raft. "Boat!" you yelled, then asked me, "My boat?" I had to explain to you that we do have a canoe, but we don't have a boat. Just joking, I said, "But if you really want a boat, you could always ask Grandpops for one." As he walked by, toting lumber, you hollered out, "BOAT, PLEASE!"


I think you're overstepping just a little, but I give you bonus points for saying please.


I look forward to the arrival of our boat any day.


Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment