Sunday, January 6, 2013

...And The Flying Monkey You Rode In On


Hey y'all -

I know I haven't updated this blog in about a week, and here's why:

Last Sunday, you both developed a cold. It was awful. I told your dad without a trace of hyperbole that I would rather go into labor again than take care of two sick small children. Hagen only stopped crying when I carried him, so I resorted to wearing him around the house in a backpack. Laney's cold got a little better over the week, but on Thursday she said, "I think I should stay home from school and rest." No sooner had your dad driven out of the driveway than she asked, "Can we go sledding now?"

Hagen, on the other hand, did not experience such a miraculous recovery. His cold got worse every day, and he quit sleeping entirely - he was so congested he couldn't breathe at night. Your dad and I were working in shifts; I'd take 11pm - 3am, and Dad took 3am - 7am. Usually, Thor would put Hagen in the car at 3am and drive him around until he fell asleep. No one slept more than an hour at a time, and then your dad and I would both get up and have to work a full day. Honestly, we probably should not have been allowed to operate motor vehicles.

On Thursday night, we noticed Hagen was warmer than usual and were alarmed to discover he had an almost 103-degree temp. In a panic, I filled the tub with cool water and got in with him while your dad called the on-call doc at the hospital. As soon as Hagen got in that cold water, he sighed and fell asleep on my chest. Perfect. On one hand, I was overjoyed that Hagen was finally resting. On the other hand, since I didn't have a fever, I was freezing my ass off. The doctor advised us that we didn't need to go to the emergency room, but we did need to see our doctor first thing the next morning.

Friday morning, I took Hagen to see Dr. Hoover, who determined that he had an ear infection in both ears. As I mentioned on facebook:


Now that we have the right collection of meds, things are looking up.

_________________

While all of this has been going on with Hagen, Laney has become obsessed with The Wizard of Oz. She saw it for the first time over Christmas Break, and has wanted to role-play it ever since.

Laney: Okay, first I'm the bad witch and I put you to sleep in the poppies and so you lie down and pretend sleeping. Then, I'm the good witch and I make it to snow and you wake up and say "It must have been a spell." Then I'm Dorothy again and we all hold hands and run to the Emerald City and sing because we're going to see the Wizard.
Peg Peg: I can't possibly remember all that.

By chance, when Grandma Sue gave Laney that box of dress-up clothes last year, there was a dress in there that Laney now thinks looks just like Dorothy's dress. I think it looks like it was stolen from the Hoop Dee Doo Clogging Revue at Dollywood. But pair it with her new red bedroom slippers, and magic is made:


So, if you've been wondering what I've been up to this past week, I've either been wiping a running nose, walking laps around my house with a crying baby strapped to my back, watching the same footage for work five times in a row because I was so sleep-deprived I kept forgetting what I just saw, or I was doing this:



At first I resisted being constantly cast as the Wicked Witch of the West, but I quickly learned that there's a bonus to playing this part: When Dorothy throws a bucket of water on me and I've screeched "I'm melting! I'm melting!" an appropriate number of times, I get to lie down on the ground and close my eyes. I'm being an active parent while being allowed to rest for 2-minute intervals.

I'll get you, my pretty, and your little infection, too.

Bwah haha ha ha...

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment