Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Shhh... Pass It On


Hey y'all - 

No doubt, our favorite meal of the trip was dinner at Maggiano's with Uncle Nate. 






Laney is really into whispering secrets these days, and as the person who's frequently on the receiving end of these secrets, I can tell you it's the worst. What normally happens is Laney decides she wants to whisper something in your ear but it takes her a a while to come up with some material, so for the first few minutes, she's just loudly breathing hot air into your ear. Then there's some "umm"s and "uhhh"s and she comes out with something like "Hagen is a stinkypants," which doesn't really meet my definition of a secret. In the end, she's giggling and having a good time while you're wincing and feeling like your ear's being assaulted.



Before we left on our trip, Laney asked me why we were going to Disney World, and I said, "Because your grandmother is cuckoo." Laney immediately LOVED the word "cuckoo," and started making up a song that was basically "Peg Peg is cuckoo" times a million. Thor thought it was hilarious, because he knew it was going to come back and haunt me sometime on the upcoming trip. By calling my mother "cuckoo" in front of my preschool-aged daughter, I had pulled a pin on a grenade and Thor was content to sit back and wait for it to go off.

At dinner, Laney started a game of "Telephone," (do kids still call it that these days?) where she'd whisper a secret into someone's ear and demand they pass it on. She whispered a secret into Uncle Nate's ear, and then he straightened up and told her, "I'm not going to repeat THAT." And I knew: the cuckoo had been uncaged.


Nate, a prince among men, did not pass on Laney's secret, and I ended up not getting into trouble with my mother. Until I wrote this blog post and confessed everything, of course. 

The moral here - if there is one - is that as you're growing up and you're dying to tell someone a secret, you can trust Uncle Nate to not blab it around town... or even around the dinner table. 

Love,
Mom



No comments:

Post a Comment