Monday, January 13, 2014

Check-Ups and Check-Ins


Dear Laney,

I forgot to mention this, but last month I had a parent/teacher conference at your school. It lasted about 6 minutes. "Laney's great, she's on top of all her skills, she's a pleasure to be around, keep doing what you're doing, here's some photos I took of her in class, bye." It takes me longer to blow dry my hair than it does to get a download from your teacher. I am not taking this for granted, and I thank you. 


Dear Hagen,

We had your two year well-child check-up last week. You're also cruising along just fine and in fact have vaulted - vaulted, I say! - up from the third percentile in height to the by-God twentieth. "He's on the chart!" your doctor clapped. Hope you enjoy all the new nicknames we're giving you, Stretch.

While we were in the exam room, you opened Dr. Hoover's drawer and found one of those rubber reflex hammers. You took it over to the exam table, declared, "Is boken! Is 'k!* I pix it!," and then beat the tar out of the exam table with your rubber mallet. "Motor and verbal skills, check, check," said Dr. Hoover. You're the image of health and we didn't have to pay for any damages. Wins all around. 

Love,
Mom

* Hagen likes to use this abbreviated form of "ok." For example, when he falls down, he typically pops back up and shouts, "I 'k!" The other thing he yells when he falls is "Oops! Daisy!," but he says it in such a way that he might suspect "Daisy" is a synonym for "S#!t."

No comments:

Post a Comment