Thursday, June 26, 2014

Friday The 13th


Hey y'all -

A few weeks ago, on Friday the 13th, I gave myself a photography assignment to take a picture of something scary/creepy. I don't want to lose any momentum I've gained as a result of my recent photography class, so I occasionally challenge myself to take pictures of things I normally wouldn't (read: anything that isn't your lovely faces, which are already ridiculously over-documented. Said with love).

Figuring it would be just the place to capture something eerie/creepy, I stopped by the Missoula City Cemetery one afternoon on my way to pick you guys up from school. I thought it would be a purely businesslike exercise in composition, but instead, I just got overwhelmingly sad. As one should expect to in a graveyard if one takes a minute to think about what one is actually doing.

The more pictures I took, the more I realized that these headstones all symbolized people who had once been loved and mourned, and the more bummed out I got. And of course there were plenty of instances when the engraved dates of birth and death were far too close together. I stopped doing the math.




I decided to wrap up this little exercise and go pick you guys up from school a little early, determined to celebrate our time together a little more.

Happier assignment next time, I promise. I'm open to suggestions. 

Love (and hugs and kisses),
Mom

P.S. But if I had to pick the most "Friday the 13th" image I saw that afternoon, it would be this girl who is not only creepy as hell all by herself, but has a spider living in her eye. 


No comments:

Post a Comment