Friday, August 15, 2014

Wedding Crasher


Dear Laney,

The concept of the "plus one" was very big when I lived in LA. You'd get invited to a premiere or a party or some other red carpet event, and if you were lucky, you'd get a "plus one," meaning you could bring along a guest. The hosts didn't care who - just pick somebody. Gone were the days of the traditional southern invitation that would have borne your full given name plus the name of your specific guest. I have a lot of great memories from my early 20s of being my roommate Brian's "plus one" - The premieres of a few movies, and a Warner Brothers launch party for the 1999 television season where I saw both Dolly Parton AND Dixie Carter and thought I had died and gone to heaven (because I like to imagine heaven has passed hors d'oeuvres, an open bar, and roving country icons). 

I mention this to our readers only to say that if anybody out there is looking for a plus one to an-y-thing, they should call you, because you are ready to go:


A party, a dance, a neighborhood watch meeting, a restaurant, a field trip, an open house, a school event, a baseball game... The only place you DON'T want to go is home. 

In this case, Peg Peg had been invited to the wedding of one of the women in her department, and she thought you would make an excellent date. She was right.




You two enjoyed sitting together and discussing what you liked about this particular event: You got to keep your fan! They served pancakes, ham and eggs for dinner! There was a whole cake-shaped mound of Oreos!


Things you didn't like included waiting for the bride princess to show up, and all that talk about obeying your husband.*


On this occasion, I got to come along as the plus one's plus one.

And I'm so glad I did. You were awesome, start to finish. 

Start

Finish
Love,
Mom

* I'm speaking on behalf of 20-years-from-now Laney.

No comments:

Post a Comment