Saturday, October 1, 2016

...


So. 

I think we've told everyone about this by now, but just in case:

The Navy is sending Thor to Afghanistan for a year. 

I know - If you're just hearing about it for the first time, it takes a minute for it to sink in, because it's one of those things that seem too awful to be true. But here we are. 

We found out about it last March, and have spent most of the time between then and now pretending it wasn't true. As someone who's made a living in reality television, I kept expecting someone to show up and say "JUST KIDDING!!" while confetti rained down and America cried along at home. But now he leaves in a month, and it's definitely true. 

Side note: I don't necessarily recommend it, but it's definitely a marriage-strengthener when you find out you're going to be without your spouse for a year. All of a sudden, who does or doesn't take out the trash doesn't matter so much. 

We told the kids last month; we'd wanted to time it so they had time to adjust to the idea, but not so much time they'd over-worry.  Laney asked a lot of good questions, like "How long are we talking?"

I got out the globe, and pointed out Missoula on the right and Bagram Air Base on the left, and we all discovered they're exactly across the world from each other. In fact, if you leave Montana and hang a left to get there or hang a right, it's a 30-minute difference in travel time. Hagen asked some less practical questions about digging a hole to get there. 



We talked about how hard it will be without him, and how it's okay to be sad or angry, because *I* am, and to think it stinks, because it does. But then Grandma Sue reminded us that with the work your dad is going to be doing, he's going to keeping other moms and dads safe and help them get back to THEIR kids. So we're all trying to not be selfish and concentrate on that. It's easier some days than others. 

The Navy sent Laney a "Deployment Journal,"and we used it last night to write down some of her feelings, all of which I agree with...except "Happy," which she threw in because I told her she could pick one night a week to sleep in bed with me. 


To everyone who has expressed interest in coming to visit and help out, great. I'm sure I'll be looking for grown-ups to talk to. If you'd like to have Thor's address when I get it so you can send him some mail, let me know. 

It's going to be a tough year, but we're going to get through it. 

Thanks to you all for your wishes, prayers (Hello, Alabama and Georgia), good vibes (I see you, agnostic hippies of Montana), and general thoughtfulness. 

Love,
Brooke


No comments:

Post a Comment