Tuesday, January 19, 2010

What Your Dad Did.




Dear Laney,

Yesterday afternoon, your dad took the dogs on a little ski trip. When they got in the car to come home, your dad noticed that the car was drifting sideways on the ice. There was nothing he could do, and the car went over the side of the road with him in it and slid down the hill until it came to a stop at a tree.

Originally, I was going to write a jokey little post about how one day you'll have a Learner's Permit, and statistics say that you'll be involved in a fender bender or two. I titled it "What Your Dad Did" because I was going to tell you that when that happens, and your dad gets mad, you should remind him of this day and tell him everyone makes mistakes.

But that's not the lesson I want you to take from this. As I was lying in bed last night, I was thinking about how much you and your dad mean to me, and how lucky I am to have you both, and how blessed we are that your dad made it home. Because coming home safely to us at the end of the day is What Your Dad Did.

And that's all that matters.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment