Thursday, January 7, 2010

Your Big Round Head: Full Disclosure


Dear Laney,

When I wrote yesterday that your round head was my fault, you were only getting half the story. I got MY round head from my father, so really you should blame him. Or thank him, because you're awfully cute.

My grandmother (Philip's mother) was called "Mama Lee," and she had this photo of Philip hanging up in her front room for decades. Mama Lee was quite a character, and I hate you won't get to meet her. When we were little and our parents did something we didn't like, my cousin Heidi and I could tattle to Mama Lee, and she would head off to give them a spanking with her little cutting board, even though they were in their forties.

Mama Lee wasn't big on hygiene, but her food was so good no one cared. To this day, when I smell chicken grease, I get nostalgic for Mama Lee's kitchen.

After my parents got married, Mama Lee would ask Peg all the time, "When are you going to have a baby?" And Peg would say "As soon as you take down that picture of Philip with the huge head." Mama Lee never took down the picture, and Peg eventually had me anyway...

So that I could grow up and have you...

and pass on the tradition of the big Lee head.

You're welcome.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment