Tuesday, October 25, 2011

A Brief Update On Your Brother


Dear Laney (but mostly grandparents),

We went to the perinatologist today to have a second ultrasound to check on Baby Boy. At our last appointment, I was diagnosed with something called Single Umbilical Artery. I strongly advise you not to google it. 99% of women have two arteries in their umbilical cords - I'm part of the 1% who just have one. While it can cause kidney and heart issues, the most common problem you see in SUA babies is slow/restricted growth. Having given birth to an eleven-pounder, I couldn't imagine this scenario would apply to us.

Sure enough, your brother seems perfectly okay. All of his organs appear to be in fine working order, and not only is he not growth-restricted, he's large for his "age." Especially his enormous Lee/Tetz/Burbach head, the size of which is almost 3 weeks ahead of schedule. No, really:

gestational age: 30 weeks, 1 day

head measures: 32 weeks, 6 days.

I told the doctor, "We don't make tiny babies." He said, "Oh, I remember." Then he looked at your dad and said, "When women meet guys in bars, they always ask questions like, 'What do you do for a living?', but they need to be asking, 'What was your birth weight?' and 'What's your hat size?'"

Probably a good thing I hadn't heard this advice when I met your dad, or I might have been scared off by his stats.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment