Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Happy Anniversary To Thor (with an assist from Lyle Lovett)


Dear Laney,

Today is your parents' third wedding anniversary (observed). I must really love the guy, because I've spent over 3.5 years with him out here in the desolate frozen north without running him over with a snowplow and rehearsing my call to 9-1-1. If history is any guide, if I did call to report that kind of thing to the authorities, they would say, "Gee, it sure is a long way out there. Can I e-mail you our self-reporting form*?" or "We'd love to investigate, but we don't have that kind of gas money in our budget.**"

There are a lot of people I love and respect who have been married more than once, so obviously this marriage thing can be a little tricky, and I certainly don't take our success for granted. On my wedding day, your great-Aunt Robyn pointed to your dad, and said, "Don't tell him, but that boy is a door prize." She was/is right. Your dad is loving and giving and infinitely patient. He's calm and methodical and smart in all the ways I'm not. He's a great dad. He can do stuff. That last one sounds simple, but don't underestimate the power of a man who can remodel your bathroom in a weekend.


Three years later, and I still feel blessed that I drew the magic ticket that won the big prize.

Love,
Mom

* What the Sheriff's deputy said when I called to report my car accident.
**What Animal Control said when I called to report being bitten by a dog.

1 comment: