Friday, November 18, 2011

The Dance Craze Sweeping Our House


Dear Laney,

Here's another thing I can blame on Dora The Explorer, and her infernal friend Squishy the Squid:


There are certain things in this world that make me irrationally angry. And somewhere in the top ten of that list, you'll find, "People who get the lyrics wrong." One of the greatest movies ever written (in my opinion) is Bull Durham. There's a scene in that movie where rookie baseball player Nuke Laloosh is on the bus with the rest of the team, strumming the guitar and attempting to sing Otis Redding's "Try A Little Tenderness":


NUKE
(singing softly)
Oh she may get woolly, women do get woolly,
because of all the stress...

CRASH
It isn't "woolly" it's "weary" and nobody's got stress,
they're wearing a dress. I hate people who get the words wrong.


...And Crash takes his guitar away.

I've always loved that scene.

You and your dad refuse to sing the second "Boom Boom" in the Squishy the Squid song. So last night, I passive-aggressively queued up the song and played it over and over, thinking one of you would look at the other and say, "Hey! It would appear that we've been missing the second 'Boom Boom' that the writer intended." But no - this exercise just gave you guys more opportunities to sing it the wrong way. I think I'm missing some hair now.

It's moments like this I begin to suspect we're God's sitcom.

Boom Boom Shake-A Shake-A,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment