Thursday, December 27, 2012

Happy Birthday Hagen (And I'm Sorry)


Dear Hagen -

We're all loading up to head out of town for a special adventure, but I wanted to post a quick note to tell you Happy Birthday, and to thank you for gracing my life with your constant smiles. You are a ray of sunshine, and your dad and I adore you.

Now, for a few apologies.

I'm sorry that your birthday is so close to Jesus's. I'm sorry that you will probably get your birthday presents wrapped in Christmas paper for the rest of your life, and people will probably try to give you "combination" gifts - "It's for your birthday AND Christmas!" So that's Apology #1.

Second, I've been thinking that it might make your birthday feel more special if every year we went on some kind of trip for the occasion; leave the tree behind and head out on a fun voyage that makes your day feel uniquely your own. But since you're not old enough to talk yet, your sister got to pick our first destination. And guess where we're going?


We've rented a minivan so we can all fit in the same vehicle and we're heading out on an overnight trip to Spokane where we'll swim in the hotel pool, play in the big park downtown, and watch your sister lose her cotton-pickin' mind over some arcade games.

For the rest of your life, you can pick the destination - promise.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment