Saturday, December 22, 2012

"We Are Not Suffering From A Crisis Of Confidence"


Had a very shiny nose...


Dear Laney,

Yesterday morning, your school had a holiday concert. I think "concert" may have been overstating things a little, because it was really a gaggle of 20 preschoolers mumbling their way through three songs. Wait - did I say "mumbling?" That doesn't apply to you, because girl, you shouted it out. You could be heard above everyone else, to the point that the parents around us started laughing. The kids on either side of you stopped what they were doing. You wailed. You emoted; I could feel Rudolph's loneliness and despair when he wasn't allowed to join in those reindeer games.  You were the Aretha Franklin of your montessori.




After the concert, walking home, I whispered to you, "Laney, you were so good - I think you were the best singer." "I know," you said, "That's because I'm the best singer ever."

Your dad's great line about your performance: "Well, we're not suffering from a crisis of confidence."

No, we're suffering from a lack of big dark sunglasses, a limousine and a manager.

Love,
Mom

P.S. Please know that I am not making fun of you in this post. If anything, I admire your commitment to your performance, which you get from me. How do I know? Because this is a photo from my preschool-aged dance recital. The girl on the right might have been there for the fun, but your mama was there to change lives with her craft.




No comments:

Post a Comment