Friday, April 12, 2013

Moving


Hey y'all -

Before anyone sends me a "Have you given up on the blog entirely?!?" e-mail, allow me to explain the month of April thus far.

Laney and Hagen's school was closed for the first week of April for "Spring Break." I put "Spring Break" in quotes, because that's the school's euphemism for what it really was: Teacher Mental Health Week. So I had both kids home all week - the same week my company was shooting a new television pilot, and I was trying to pack everything I own into boxes.

We've had some pretty funny conversations with Laney about the big move. She's asked her dad and me some great questions like, "When the people buy our house, where are they going to take it?"






Last week, she said, "Well, I'm excited about the new house, but I'm sure going to miss Ella." "Laney, we're bringing the dog with us." "Oh. Okay." A few nights ago, she woke up in the middle of the night, sobbing. "Laney! What's wrong?" "I don't want to move!" "Why not?" "Because I don't want to leave my TV!"

So we've tried to reassure her (times a million) that everything she loves - and the dog she only sorta likes - is coming with us. Her new concern is that she doesn't want kids she doesn't know playing in her house. This one I understand, because I'm an only child and I hate it when people touch my stuff. 

I'm amazed at the paperwork involved in the home-buying process. I have provided our mortgage woman with a copy of every piece of paper I have ever touched. 


The yellow Post-Its are places that Thor either needs to sign or explain to me. I didn't actually fill out the paperwork with the crayons that Laney left on top of it, but for as much as I understood it, I might as well have. Three sheets in this packet are used to explain that if our mortgage company sells our mortgage to someone else, that hypothetical new company might want us to get additional flood insurance, so you need to agree to the possibility of new insurance for a potential new company should the need arise. Sign here in triplicate. 

Thor and I rented a storage unit in the neighborhood where we'll be moving, so we can start to move things out of our house in manageable chunks. For example, this morning we got up and moved a bunch of beds we had out in our guest house. Thor sang the "Sanford and Son" theme song, and thought he was so funny. 


I've always been prone to a certain low-grade anxiety, but this selling-moving-buying-working-parenting is really dragging it out. Now, instead of having an Anxiety Attack!, I'm having one long Anxiety Attaaaaaaaaaaaaack.

Thank God for Hagen, who doesn't care where we go, as long as there's applesauce.


Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment