Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Walk On the Wild Side


Dear Laney,

Aunt Nancy (Grandma Sue's sister) is here for a visit. You adore Nancy, because she's a Head Start teacher/administrator and knows every game, story and song ever loved by a preschooler. You toss out a subject, and she's got a song about it. Last time she was here, she gifted you with a set of face paint pencils. I hid them away somewhere for a future date when you might be more responsible, or I might be more patient, or... I don't know. But this move has unearthed all kinds of fun things, including the face paint set. And the program from my high school honors banquet. And six hairbrushes.

Right after we moved into the new house, you disappeared into your room and were quiet for longer than usual. Then, you came out and presented us with this:



There's something about that picture that's so sweet and touching and heartbreaking to me. You have this expression on your face like you've gone off on a limb and done something you're proud of, and you're waiting to see what I'm going to say, or if I'm going to be mad. Well, I thought it was kind of awesome, but I also said that maybe we should have it done by a professional one time, just to see if we could pick up some tips and improve our technique.

So last Sunday, we snuck away - just us girls - to the Caras Park Market, and had you turned into a butterfly princess:




Keep going out on those limbs, girl. 

Love,
Mom

P.S. Next to the face painting was an "Animal Wonders" exhibit where a local exotic animal rescue was showing off some of its critters:





There were talking birds and "Lollipop" the baby skunk, and a scorpion mama with 30+ "scorplings" on her back that gave me the heebie-jeebies to the nth degree. You didn't seem at all impressed, but that's probably because the wildest animal of all is the one that lives in your backyard:




No comments:

Post a Comment