Friday, May 9, 2014

The Cavalry Arrives


Hey y'all -

Your dad left for a Navy assignment a month ago. I haven't mentioned it here before, because - while I'm hardly a stickler about internet privacy - it didn't seem like the smartest move in the world to advertise to the world wide web that I'd be home alone with two small children and the world's laziest sled dog.

Your dad spent his last morning before flying out playing Legos with you guys.



I can't really say your dad's been "deployed," because that usually conjures up images of Army infantry on patrol, looking out for IEDs in Kabul.  Your dad was taking a class and staying at a Holiday Inn on the beach in Florida. The closest I came to worrying about his safety was wondering if he'd remembered to pack sunscreen.

Still, the prospect of being a single parent for a month to two small children while working full time scared the bejeezus out of me, so I started calling around to see who could come to Missoula and lend a hand. Tex and Peg-Peg Poppins flew in on their umbrella, and were practically perfect in every way.












While they were here, Tex built us a new custom dining table, which required no less than 18 trips to Lowe's. I'm sure toward the end, he'd walk through the automatic doors and the whole staff would shout, "TEX!" and hand him a beer. The project also required a few design consultations from Laney.



The big breakthrough from this trip is that Peg Peg let me make her an appointment with the trendy salon downtown, where my favorite stylist told Peg she didn't need to use mousse, spritz, foam, a curling iron AND finishing spray on her hair. It was a low-grade intervention of sorts. But while my mother's mouth was saying, "Oh, yes, okay, I see..." her eyes were telling a different story...


They stayed for two weeks and helped me get you kids to school, reminded me to feed you, and noticed if you hadn't gone to bed by midnight, which was better than I'd been doing on my own. 

Thanks to Peg Peg and Tex for saving the day(s).

Love,
Mom







No comments:

Post a Comment