Thursday, February 4, 2010

Life Lessons - #2



Dear Laney,

There were times when I was growing up that Peg Peg and I didn't always see eye to eye. Looking back, I know that this is partly because we were (and are) so similar: we're both hard-headed with a tendency toward bossiness. And that's okay, because those are the kind of people who end up running the world...and I've always thought your grandmother was just a few steps away from world domination.

But with a little time and distance, I can also look back and admit that those occasions when I got in trouble, it was usually because I was being a total pill.

...like the time I wrapped myself around the gumball machine at Gayfers Department Store, and refused to leave unless someone bought me some candy.

...or the time I went into the boy's bathroom at school and hit a boy for taking something from my 6 year old wimpy boyfriend.

...or the time Peg went to Skatehaven Roller Rink to pick me up from a field trip, only to discover that I was back at school because I had gotten in trouble for not following directions and the teacher didn't let me get on the bus.

Anyway, for the 18 years that we lived together, this was always the pattern:

1. Brooke does something wrong/misbehaves/acts out/is a pill/hurts her mother's feelings.
2. Brooke goes to her room and slams the door, because whatever just happened couldn't possibly be HER fault.
3. Peg Peg knocks on the door, sits on the bed, and makes it all better.
4. Brooke thinks "Wow. I KNOW this whole thing is my fault, but she's still willing to be the one to come in here and talk first. This woman must REALLY love me. Because I am A PILL."

And somewhere along the line, I learned what unconditional love is. It looks a lot like this:

No matter what I did, she never quit talking to me. Now that I'm on the other side of the parent/child divide, I understand exactly what she was feeling.

Which brings us to today's lesson:

There is nothing you could do to
make me stop loving you.
Nothing.

...although I would really appreciate it if you would stay out of the boys' room, and keep the public tantrums to a minimum.

Love,
Mom




No comments:

Post a Comment