Friday, February 5, 2010

Well, We Had A Good Run


Dear Laney,

For months now, you've been going to be at 8pm every night. No muss, no fuss. Then last night, you decided you would NOT be going to bed. At all.

Like Scarlett O'Hara, you shook your fists at the heavens and declared that, as God is your witness, you would never be tired again. No, nor any of your kin.

I felt bad for you, so I started to go upstairs to get you. And as soon as I put one foot on the steps, you stopped crying. Suspicious, I thought. So I came back downstairs. And you cried again. So I started to go upstairs...and you stopped. This is when I realized I was being manipulated by a five month old.

Your dad and I were going to be strong. We were going to let you "cry it out," like the books suggest. That lasted about 4 minutes until your crying was interrupting our movie. So I went and got you and let you hang out in your swing until the movie was over. It was totally because I was enjoying the movie and NOT because I'm a pushover who can't stand to hear you cry. Totally.

Anyhoo, thanks for being the perfect baby for five whole months. Now, your dad and I are looking forward to decades of fake tears, foot stomping and dramatic hair flips. And at the rate we're going, I might as well go ahead and tattoo "Sucker" on my forehead.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment