Saturday, April 9, 2011

Beauty School Drop-Out


Dear Laney,

Earlier this week, you actually slept through the night. Until then, I was making jokes that at your wedding reception, I would stand up and give a toast to you and that undeserving joker you married and say, "Here's hoping she finally sleeps through the night."

But now, I know I'm going to have even better material for just such a public speaking engagement, because tonight - THIS happened:

You snuck into the bathroom and smuggled out a tube of Estee Lauder lipstick. In a hurry to leave the house, we quickly loaded you and the groceries into the car so we'd be on time for dinner with Brooke & Todd & Cedar. Apparently, you clutched that little tube of lipstick so tight that your dad never saw it as he was putting you in the car seat.

For fifteen minutes, we didn't hear a peep out of you. In the front seat, I was busy reading Newsweek and talking to your dad about the current budget crisis. I kept smelling something like perfume... I couldn't put my finger on it, but it was so familiar. Finally, I asked your dad, "Can you smell that?" He turned around and looked at you and said, "Oh...My...God."

And that's when I saw it.



Oh yes.

You had dipped your finger into the tube and covered your entire face and both hands with "Sparking Merlot."

We washed you off at Cedar's house, and we managed to have a perfectly fine time. But I'll always remember the time you dolled yourself up for a dinner party like a drunk Oompa Loompa.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment