Saturday, September 10, 2011

Hanging On To Summer By Our Toenails



Dear Laney,

You let me paint your toenails last night, which was kind of incredible, because it's not like you to sit still for more than 0.00023 seconds. I guess - like me - you were trying to hold on to the festive vibe of summer.

Last year, it snowed for the first time on my birthday (Oct 26 - only 46 shopping days left!), which means we have about 6 more weeks before we can expect it to once again be cold and miserable. In the meantime, we're heading outside and playing at the river every chance we get.


Today, as we were sitting by the boat ramp, this lovely young couple rowed in and started putting their boat up on their trailer while you went over to supervise. Then, your dad and I had this conversation:

Thor: (pointing off into the distance at the paddling animal in the river) Here comes their dog.
Brooke: That's kinda mean that they make their dog swim that far.
Two minutes pass.
Brooke: Thor, are you sure that's not a bear?
Thor: (laughs) No, that's a dog with a ball in its mouth.
Brooke: Oh, then you definitely need to cough up the money for my new glasses.
Two more minutes pass.
Thor: OK, you're right. It's a bear.

Then the bear swam to just about ten feet on the other side of the boat ramp, lumbered out and disappeared in the bushes.

I will confess that I am notorious for being unable to identify the wildlife in our neighborhood, and it's not uncommon for your parents to have conversations like:

Brooke: Hey look at the funny horse! I mean, the moose!
Thor: You mean the elk?
Brooke: Whatever.

...But credit where credit's due, I can spot a damn bear.

Love,
Mom




No comments:

Post a Comment