Friday, January 20, 2012

He So Coot


Dear Laney,

People have been asking me a lot lately what you think of your brother. First, it should be said that you refer to him as your "sister." I don't know if you're in denial, or if you think sister is a gender-neutral word. Either way, you've picked a story and you're sticking to it.

Also, you tend to adopt and repeat whatever you hear other people say about him. Since Peg Peg spent 2+ weeks at our house after his birth, this means you've spent a lot of time sounding like a middle-aged Southern woman. "Ooh, he such a sweet boy!" is a favorite. Also: "Look at all dat hay-ur," which as many of you know is how Alabamians pronounce "hair."



I've said it before, but your brother has been mostly silent since we brought him home. There is now an exception to the rule, which is an annoyed grunt that seems to be directed only at you. This could be because when you say, "Lemme hug da baby," what you really mean is, "Let me lay all 32 pounds of my body directly on top of this newborn." When you say, "I wanna touch da baby," you mean, "I want to stick my finger in his eye/nose/mouth." And when you say, "OK, I done now," it means you're about to push on his head to launch yourself off the bed. And as your dad and I are saying NO NO NO, Hagen is saying Eerrrrgggghhhhh.


Except for the fact that your brother probably thinks you're a rabid dingo, your relationship is off to a great start.

Love,
Mom




No comments:

Post a Comment