Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Thor's Baby


Dear Hagen,

Truth-telling time: When your dad first brought up the idea of having another child, I was hesitant (where "hesitant" = completely freaked out by the notion). I am an only child. My best friend is an only child. I don't know nothin' bout raisin' no second babies.

Obviously, I eventually agreed with him that we should have another child, but to make the whole idea seem more manageable, I would occasionally point to my pregnant belly and tell your dad, "This baby's yours." I was referring to all the middle-of-the-night feedings and diaper changes that I knew were on the way, but mostly I was joking.

Apparently, your dad thought I was serious. When Laney was a newborn, your dad had a full-time job, was a full-time student, and was writing his thesis. But now, he has all kinds of spare time on his hands to manage the business of taking care of a baby. And he's not just taking on the job, he's employee of the month.

If you need a bottle, he feeds you and burps you.


You take all of your baths with Dad.


And you two have spent a lot of time "watching" post-season football together.



The other night, I actually heard myself say, "Can I hold him?" as if you were a baby a stranger had brought to a party. If your dad had his own boobies, I might never see you.

Of course, if your dad had boobies, I would never have agreed to that first date, making all this baby-raising stuff a non-issue.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment