Monday, June 24, 2013

Memories and Megapixels


Hey y'all - 

When I started this blog, my posting process went like this: 

1) Take quick, crappy picture of child with whatever camera is closest.
2) Write two or three paragraphs describing picture.
3) Hit "Publish"
Time elapsed: 15 minutes.
Output: 1 post.

Here's the current process:

1) Make dozens of attempts to take good picture using great camera. 
2) Upload hundreds of photos into Photoshop.
3) Obsess over each photo, then edit the good ones. 
4) Decide I'm too tired to write anything. Go to bed.
Time Elapsed: 5 hours.
Output: 0 posts. 

I've actually made the process even harder on myself this week, because I got a new camera (Nikon D7100) and also bought a new lens (35mm / f1.8). But just like all expensive hobbies, I've fallen down a rabbit hole of upgrades and instruction manuals 'til I hardly know what I'm doing any more. It's exciting but frustrating and I'm taking a bajillion pictures, trying to master this new equipment. 

 Ella, being petted 

 Ella's signature move
 Hagen in the air

 The pre-slide

 Hitching a ride with Dad

 Living in the hot tub

 In a letter from Granny Jack

 Dance like everybody's watching. 

 Sassy pants

 Too much time upside down. 

 The landscaping we inherited.

 Hagen rockets off the slide, sideways. Falls in a flurry of wood chips. Repeat.

Watching her dad climb a tree.

 Laney's friend Max at the sprayground. 

 Max.

Dad's Handstand Academy

I was talking to Philip last night, and he asked, "Do you remember what you used to say about the blog?" "Yeah," I said, "That I'd rather spend fifteen minutes a day writing a blog post than have all you crazy people calling my house asking what the kids are doing." "Exactly," he said. "We don't know what the hell a megapixel is, so quit worrying about it and just slap something up. Or you can start expecting some incoming calls."

Like Laney in that picture above, I'm going to do my best to achieve balance. 

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment