Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Quality of Life




Hey y'all -

We loved living in Alberton. Our friends were/are delightful people who we love like family. That being said, here's all the ways living in Missoula is better (for us):

1) There are a ton of cool things within walking distance from our house. Like this park, four blocks away:


In fact, the park is so close that Laney can pull Hagen all the way there and back in a wagon.


You know what used to be (barely) within walking distance of our old house? Our mailbox.

2) Date night on wheels. Grandma Sue comes over, and Dad and I can hop on our bikes and pedal to the microbrewery (9 blocks away)


When my family was here a few weeks ago, I kept describing Missoula as being fueled by babies n' beer. Everybody's got a young'un, and everybody has a favorite local brew. In fact, the brewery in our neighborhood has a toy box, because of course it does.



3) Free landscaping. Speaking of Grandma Sue, she's done a great job with our garden. When I sent my cousin Heidi pictures of the house before we bought it, she asked, "Are you really going to grow anything in that garden?" Well, no I'm not, smarty pants, but my mother-in-law is. All hail, outsourcing.


In fact, we live so close to each other now that it's not unusual to look out the back window and see Grandma Sue in the yard, doing her patented sprinklin' and drinklin'.


 4) The food! There are two farmer's markets every Saturday morning (on opposite ends of the same street with trolley service in between), and we hit 'em both. Laney has developed a deep, abiding love for kettle corn, and usually picks that as her treat.

 
 

Last Saturday, we saw a dude dressed as Spiderman climbing the bank building next to the market, and rappelling down. Way to go, my drama major brother.


We've also joined the Missoula Food Co-op, which is only five blocks from our house, and is basically a 7-11-sized Whole Foods.


Also, our other nearest grocery store was just named one of the 8 best grocery stores in America by Bon Appetit, and we've contributed to a local farmer's crop this year in exchange for weekly deliveries of his produce. 

Walmart is probably wondering what became of me; I'm one missed leg shaving away from going full hippie. 

5) Paved roads.


6) Choose Your Own Adventure. Every few days, I'll let Laney pick an adventure for us to go on, like riding her bike to the neighborhood grocery store or going to the "sprayground" water park - also in the neighborhood. Right now, she's enamored of the city bus, which comes through our neighborhood and will take me and both of the kids to the downtown library for a dollar.



7) No bears.

I'm fairly convinced that - for us - Missoula is the perfect town. "But the snow!" you say. Or "But the arctic conditions 9 months of the year!" I know, I know. But we need something to keep all you other yahoos from moving here. 

Love,
Mom



No comments:

Post a Comment