Saturday, June 22, 2013

Report Card


Dear Laney,

At our final parent/teacher conference for the year, we got this paper from Ms. Lindsay:


Teachers, like nurses, are typically warm, giving human beings who entered their occupation because they enjoy helping others and being nice for a living. I am neither a teacher nor a nurse because I am generally irritated by humanity. But with teachers (and nurses), you have to be sure that they're not just giving you a sanitized version of the truth. 

When I met with Ms. Lindsay, she told me things like you're well-liked by your fellow students, and you're doing a great job with your pre-reading skills. But I kept trying to look deeper in her eyes to determine, "Is she leaving out the part where my child is a holy terror?" or "When Lindsay goes home at night, is the thought of my child what inspires her to open that second bottle of chardonnay?"

Apparently, no. You're just a good student. Nice to your friends. Helpful to your teachers. A "joy to have around."

Then she shook my hand, gave me this stack of snapshots from some of your school days, and I exhaled. 

Top right - handing out Valentines
Middle left - Recess in Montana
Bottom left - Doing yoga cards with your friend Addy. 

Good work, kiddo.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment