Monday, August 26, 2013

Splash Bash


Hey y'all - 

A few weekends ago, I put together a fundraiser for your school called "Splash Bash" at the Splash Montana water park. I designed a flyer and started promoting the event.The problem with marketing is that sometimes, it works. We had 200 people RSVP, so I found myself needing to put together a taco bar that would serve that many people. 

I hit up Costco. Laney loves Costco because their snack bar sells hot dogs and lemonade, and she can put away an entire Hebrew National one-pounder in a single sitting, which is pretty impressive to watch.



I got local merchants to donate stuff for a silent auction, bought a keg, and browned 50 pounds of ground beef in small batches in the frying pan on my stove. Had you been a vegan walking by my house the day before the party, you might'a puked.

The party was a success, if for nothing else, Hagen learned to patiently wait his turn at a keg, which will come in handy in college:



The most fun part of the party, of course, was the swimming. Hagen doesn't mind at all when he gets a face full of water, so he and your dad spent a lot of time on the bear slide:




He was only disappointed when Dad had to take a break from sliding and told Hagen he couldn't do the slide by himself 'til he's two.




We raised a few thousand bucks for the school, had a great time swimming, and now have a freezer full of taco bar leftovers that should last us well into 2015.

Love,
Mom

P.S. The only part of this party I delegated (weeks in advance) was drinks for the kids. Three hours before the party, I got a call that the other mom volunteer had decided that making iced tea for that many people was too much work, and she couldn't possibly do it. I'm not even going to get into my reaction to that, because it involved a lot of dirty words and eye rolling, but I'll share this last-minute idea that I came up that saved the day, in case any of our readers might be throwing a kids' party any time soon:



2.5 gallon water dispensers. Cut an "X" in the top with a knife. Insert funnel. Pour in juice concentrate. Instant juice bar. I made 8 kinds of juice, put them all at kid level, and the kids got to mix n' make their own drinks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment