Thursday, August 1, 2013

I Can't Even


Hey y'all -

I can't even begin to catch everyone up on the goings-on around here.

At the last minute (which is the only time things happen in the TV industry), I hopped on a plane to Vermont and worked there for a week. I'm working on a new show about building cabins in the boonies, and I spent most of the week picking out old windows and doors and furniture for the builds and hauling them back to set in my rental truck. I was a dirty, smelly poorly-paid mover, basically. If you close your eyes and imagine what the job "Producer" entails, and you envision someone sitting in a comfy chair watching the magic unfold, you should adjust your imagination. Standing on a loading dock at a Salvation Army wondering how you're going to get the moth-filled arcade game you just bought for $40 in the back of your truck all by yourself is probably a more accurate representation of the gig.

I was standing at the build site thinking about my last trip out to Vermont, when my job was to drive around the boonies looking for people who own land that we could build on, and who would agree to appear on television while we did it. I was semi-lost and driving through farm country when I saw Mike on the side of the road. I stopped the van and pitched him the show in his driveway. He introduced me to his stud hog who had fathered over 1200 piglets. Just a few months later, I was back on Mike's property, only this time it was with a crew of fifty who were there to tear down his old barn and rebirth it as a dream cabin.

As jobs go, mine definitely veers toward the cuckoo.



While I was gone, your dad did the single parent thing, and had to get Laney ready for school every day* and take her to a swim party and a Princess Festival on the weekend (these are the photos he e-mailed me last week) -

School's out!

The princess is not amused

Getting molars in. Stuck at a Princess party.

Fairy wings

Swimming party

Holding court

I'm not sure which one of us had it rougher.

Love,
Mom

* I don't mention getting Hagen ready here, even though they attend the same school, because getting Hagen ready takes twenty seconds and typically doesn't include a crying jag over where the barrette should go.


No comments:

Post a Comment