Friday, September 6, 2013

Little Miracle. Big Blessings.


Hey y'all -

Will, one of my best friends in the world, and his beautiful wife Lindsay were expecting a baby at the end of September. Fate had another plan in store, and Mr. Ethan ended up arriving in the world a little over a month early.


Weighing in at four pounds, nine ounces, he is practically perfect in every way. But because he's tiny, he's going to need to spend a little extra time in the hospital.

When one of the most important people in your life tells you his new son is going to be spending time in NICU, there's only one thing you should do: Get on a plane. Even if it means you have to take a crazy freelance job (more on this later) to pay for the plane ticket that gets you out there.

I drove to the hospital in my rental car, and texted Will a picture of myself in front of the hospital.

Surprise!


I didn't get to meet Ethan on this trip, but I got to let his parents know how much I love them, and how much we're all rooting for their little guy.

My plane home didn't leave 'til the following day, so I got to spend the night with my other best friend, Karen, and play with her little blessings:




Ten years ago - heck, eight years go - we were a bunch of single, underpaid, beer-drinking idiots living in crappy apartments.  My relationship prospects were so dismal that when my roommate Brian gave me a Queen-sized electric blanket for Christmas with dual temperature controls, my mother said, "Well, that's optimistic."

Then Karen met Stephenson - though she had to go to Baltimore to do it. I met Thor on a blind date in San Diego. Lindsay decided that even with all of Will's irritating qualities, she could probably live with him for the rest of her life, hallelujah. And because of those little quirks of fate, there are now five more people in the world who look like us.

Miracles abound.

Welcome to the world, Ethan. We love you already.

Love,
Mom










No comments:

Post a Comment