Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Dierks Bentley


Hey, y'all - 

My first week of college, I sat down in my Playwriting I class next to a friendly-seeming guy with long hair. "Look," he whispered to me, "I can do prom hair." Then he put his hair up into the same french twist that every girl in America was wearing to their high school formal that season. That's how I met Chip Dorsch. Sometimes, something this stupid can be the start of an 18-year friendship. 

Today, Chip works in marketing in Nashville for a lot of great artists. When I found out Dierks Bentley - who his company reps - was coming to Missoula for a show, I told Chip he should come out and stay with us for a weekend and we could all go to the show together. Even though he's the busiest man in show business, he agreed. 

Since Chip is a well-connected dude, I figured he'd be coming with something better than seats in the nosebleed section. I invited my friend (and die-hard country fan) Julie to go with us, but I decided not to tell her about all that hanging out with Chip could entail. Instead, I wanted to surprise her face off. 

This was the moment Chip told her she had a backstage pass:


They're best friends now. 


We went backstage to a VIP area where Dierks performed a short acoustic set just for the small group of people gathered back there, hanging out next to the open bar. "Well, this is just terrible," said your dad in one of the funniest moments of the night, because it was basically country music heaven.                                                                                                                             
The next funniest moment of the night was when Chip introduced me to Dierks as his last girlfriend, which is probably true. Dierks, who knows Chip well, laughed. "This is my husband, Thor," I said, "I'm HIS last girlfriend, too." 


We watched most of the show with the roadies from the side of the stage.
                    



As you go through life, remember to take pleasure in the simple things, and never overlook the joys of the common man. That said, if somebody with connections offers you an All Access pass, enjoy the hell out of it. 

Love,
Mom



No comments:

Post a Comment