Thursday, September 22, 2016

Shoot, Shoot, Bang, Bang




Last Saturday, I woke up before the sun and drove myself to the airport for a flight to San Diego. I watched the sun come up over Missoula from my window seat. I was on my way to do a full day shoot of the new World Gym Ambassadors...you know, that gig I have about once a year where I make people in prime physical condition do difficult exercises over and over again all day long while I tell a camera guy to film it. I maybe burn 20 calories all day by pointing. 


Because I had most of the day free when I landed, I convinced my friends Karen and Amy to meet me on the pier in San Clemente. It's always so great to see them, even if they spend most of our time together trying to convince me to shop at Ann Taylor because "it's not as geriatric as you think." Nice try, ladies. 



Sunday, the shoot went well. Push-ups were done, muscles were flexed, treadmills were cranked up to eleven. I carried a hard drive and took notes. Exhausting.


After we wrapped, I drove to Old Town to buy cool presents for you guys, and to indulge in some hot taco action. One thing I miss not living in California is authentic Mexican food. I am not kidding when I tell you that I found a way to eat tacos four times in two days on this shoot. 


Monday, I woke up and flew to Vegas to film the World Gym convention, because obviously, if ANYONE has her finger on the pulse of the fitness industry, it's the lady who just ate a tortilla chip omelette with extra queso. 

Coming down the escalator at the Vegas airport, I reflected on how little I like the town, and how Photoshop is a very powerful tool (I see you, Mariah.)


But the view of the Strip from my room at the Mirage was lovely. 

Brian was also at the convention, and we decided to have dinner together at the Bacchanal Buffet at Caesar's, because we thought all that excess would be campy fun. But we're the kind of people who opt for a $15 all-you-can-drink package, so obviously our decision-making is suspect.

We do not recommend the Bacchanal experience. It's Hometown Buffet with better art direction.


But after all those glasses of cheap Chardonnay, my mind was BLOWN by the spiral escalator. The moon landing was no longer impressive to me, as compared to tourists moving up and down in an arcing direction.

Tuesday morning I woke up and my body immediately reminded me that I'm looking down the barrel at forty, and have NO business engaging in "all-you-can..." anything. I was at the pool when it opened at 8am, which is when all the old, pasty folks hit the pool in Vegas. These are my people.


I filmed all day at the convention. I interviewed vendors and franchisees and award winners and watched other people sweat it out at fitness demos.

Wednesday morning, I flew home. Two shoots, two cities, three airports, four days. 

I missed you the whole time, because I love you more than tacos. 

Love,
Mom



No comments:

Post a Comment