Friday, March 26, 2010

And Now For My Next Trick



Dear Laney,

Last night, it was warm upstairs so I put you to bed in just a T-shirt and your diaper. Your dad is always trying to sell me on the idea that you want to be pants-free, so I figured we'd give it a shot.

When I went upstairs in the dark to feed you at 4am, I reached my hand down into your crib and felt..naked butt.

Now, there have been times when the fatigue of being a parent has made me question if I'm losing my mind. Like the time a few weeks ago when I watched the microwave cook for almost 2 minutes before I realized I hadn't put anything IN the microwave, and I was just sleepily watching an empty turntable spin 'round and 'round. But I couldn't have possibly put you to bed without a diaper, could I?

So I turned on the light, and that's when I discovered that you had learned how to take off your own diaper, and how to throw it to the edge of your crib. And I'm sure I don't need to include that you had wet EVERYTHING. But you were so obviously proud of yourself that I couldn't even be irritated.

But one things for sure - it's the end of your pants-free days, missy.

Love,
Mom


1 comment:

  1. Dear Laney,

    Here's a helpful hint. When you learn to read, and have read this, you'll understand that you can use your mother's use of the term "missy" when she's serious about an issue and doesn't intend to entertain any further argument on the subject.

    Which means, after the age of say....12, the more you can get her to call you "missy", the better you are doing your job.

    Clay

    ReplyDelete