Thursday, August 30, 2012

Laney The Science Brain-y



Dear Laney,

Sometimes, we watch the PBS show Sid The Science Kid together. I'm not in love with Sid, but I don't hate him, either. On the spectrum of least-to-most annoying shows that you watch, I'd rank him somewhere in the middle:


One good thing about Sid is that he and his classmates do an experiment or activity in every episode that we can recreate at home. This morning's episode was about rocks. We learned that there are three kinds of rocks. I've already forgotten what they are, because if I were at all interested in rocks, I would pay attention to your dad when he talks, knowwhatImean? Just kidding. I find your dad endlessly fascinating. But seriously: if you ever want to lose track of half an hour of your life, ask your dad a question like, "Why does that rock over there have those ripples on top?"

Where was I? Ah, yes: Rocks. So just like Sid's fictional preschool class, we grabbed an Easter basket and went out in the yard to collect rocks. You must have gotten the geology gene, because you thought it was awesome, although at one point, you stopped to say, "Hey! Instead of collecting rocks, let's look for eggs with candy in them!" If only. We brought our rocks back to the dinner table, where we sorted them by size and color and shape. Then, because we had some more time to kill before lunch, we decided to paint them. 

And there went the afternoon.







Spoiler alert: Everyone's getting a paperweight for Christmas.



Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment