Saturday, August 25, 2012

The Parrrrty


Dear Laney,

You woke up at the crack of dawn yesterday, all jacked up on being a 3 year-old. It didn't matter that it was still dark outside, you were ready to open presents. Hagen can't talk yet, but I bet if he could, he would have slurred, "Dude, why are we up so early?"



Your dad and I got you a Cabbage Patch Kid, which you told Hagen he wasn't allowed to touch. Then, you demanded he kiss it. He was one confused infant.



But enough of the preamble, let's talk about the Pirate Party!!

Everyone got to suit up in a pirate vest, hat and eye patch:



I made a poster-sized map, and led you and your friends on a treasure hunt through the park.



To get past the Dancin' Tree, we all had to dance like pirates.



On the way to our next pirate challenge, we ran into Captain Meanybritches, played by your Uncle Nate. He Grrr'd at us and threatened to steal our treasure, but then we all snapped our hands together like crocodiles and scared him away.

Then, it was time to walk the plank. We'd set up an inflatable kiddie pool and your Uncle Nate put a board across it that all the kids had to cross.



To add to the ambience, I added some inflatable sea creatures to the pool. But Cedar is such a proficient fisherwoman, she plucked 'em right out.



I took sidewalk chalk and colored "Lava Rocks" down the sidewalk. You had to jump from rock to rock to make it down the path of lava.


We found the treasure chest under the park's turtle fountain, and everyone got a treasure sack of crayons and Play Doh and gold coin-shaped chocolates.

When it was over, I was exhausted. I had started to speed up the "hunt," because I was worried you and your friends thought I was crazy and the hunt was lame. But as soon as we got the treasure bags out of the box, the first thing out of your mouth was, "I WANNA DO IT AGAIN!!" Your friend Maya agreed. I explained that I had only brought one batch of treasure, and we were all done. Maya volunteered to put her treasure back so she could do it again, which I thought was a tremendous compliment. Finally, I pinned the map to a tree so you guys could recreate the experience by yourselves. Everyone took turns playing "Meanybritches."



We had 13 kids, 16 adults, 19 pounds of pork barbecue, and 2 enormous cakes.








I know it was a successful party, because when Levi's mom told him it was time to go, this was the look on his face:



It was a great day and a great party and all the work was worth it, because it made you so happy.

We love you, Little Miss 3 year-old.

Love,
Mom










No comments:

Post a Comment