Monday, February 18, 2013

At The Drive-In Picture Show


Hey y'all -

Over the weekend, I discovered that I'd lost three days worth of photos on my camera, which included Laney's gymnastics class, my Valentine's celebration with your dad, and Hagen trying to feed Ella sweet potatoes. All I can figure is that I put my camera in my bag while it was still on, and something in there bumped against the "delete" button a few times. It's not like it was the photos from someone's wedding or anything, but still - I've been in mourning.

On Valentine's Day, your dad met me after work with a lovely card and a bottle of wine. On the front, he'd written a cute note about how he'd "jump in all over again," and on the back, he'd taped a concert poster of Pat Green, because we met at a Pat Green concert. BUT, he'd chosen an advertisement for Pat's upcoming show on August 5th in San Diego, so when I saw it, I clapped and squealed, "We're going to San Diego?!?" Uh...no. So that was a fun little roller-coaster ride of emotions.


We went out to a lovely dinner. We wanted to do something fun after, but I'm opposed to going to the movies. I know I sound like a cranky geriatric, but I can't stand paying $30 for two people to see a movie that's going to be out on Netflix in a month or so, when I can watch it from the comfort of my own couch. Also, the older I get, the more irritated I become by humanity, and I swear if I go to one more event just to watch the person next to me type text messages on their brightly-lit screen the entire time, I'm going to go out of my gourd. YOU DON'T NEED TO LIVE TWEET YOUR ENTIRE EXISTENCE, YOUNGER GENERATION.

So, going to the movies was out.


Here's what we did: We went to Big Dipper Ice Cream, where I got a hot fudge sundae, then we parked outside Grandma Sue's house (close enough to pick up her Wifi). We turned on our seat warmers, put the iPad up on the dash, and enjoyed a drive-in movie on Netflix from the comfort of our own front seat.

Perfection.

Love,
Mom

2 comments:

  1. What movie? Was it any good?

    And: I see you do not like going to the movies. So scratch that from the double-date suggestion list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, here's the unvarnished, admittedly snobby truth:

    When I lived in Hollywood, my friends and I would go to the movies at the Arclight, which featured reserved stadium seating (you could choose your seats online), enormous digital projection screens, 21+ screenings with a martini bar, and the most reverent audience you could imagine. It was unspoken law that everyone had to sit quietly through the end credits, because chances are, everyone in there knew a few people on the crew list. Directors came by to introduce their films. Now, the few times I've been to the movies in Missoula, it's just been a weird/sad/nostalgic reminder that I'm no longer anywhere near the entertainment industry or my friends in LA. Doing my taxes last night and seeing how much I made last year was another reminder. It's kinda been a touchy week.

    ReplyDelete