Thursday, February 7, 2013

Princesses.


Dear Laney,

Princess mania has hit our house, and you force us to play all sorts of role-playing games, with you in the role of princess. Dad's usually the prince, Hagen's a dragon, and while my role varies, it always starts with "The Evil - " or "The Bad - "

I'm against the princess juggernaut, because these characters aren't models of the self-assurance and self-reliance we're trying to teach. It seems you know the score:

Laney: Ok, I be the princess. Who's going to be the prince to save me?
Mom: Laney, you don't need a prince to save you. You can save yourself.
Laney: But I want a prince ta do it.
Mom: I think you can find a solution. Because you're a girl, and girls are very smart.
Laney: (shakes head) Not princesses.

It's conversations like this that keep me up at night.

Love,
Mom


3 comments:

  1. AAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH....

    [deep breath]

    AAAAAAAAAAAGGGHHHHHHHHH, NNNOOOOOOOOOO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And what's more f'd up: She's never SEEN any of those movies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Laney,

    The Mom character on this blog is a sharp gal. I would pay particular attention to her comments this time

    ReplyDelete