Monday, December 6, 2010

An Hour With Heidi


Dear Laney,

Today, your grandfather watched you for an hour so I could go to lunch at Marise's Country Cooking with my cousin Heidi. I hadn't seen Heidi in about 7 years, and I was dying to catch up with her.

And everything would have been perfect, except Heidi has this particular problem: she's really really really nice. I know it doesn't sound like a problem, but when an entire town of 2,000 people knows you and likes you, they feel obliged to stop by your table and chat.

People came over to talk about the decline in attendance at the Methodist Sunday School, the antibiotics their children are taking, and why the dentist can't just clean teeth himself. You know - issues that aren't going to be resolved in the course of Heidi's lunch hour.

It was decided that the next time we have lunch together, so we can actually talk, Heidi is going to meet me in a dark alley somewhere, in a rented car with tinted windows, wearing sunglasses and a trenchcoat.

Its just the price of being nice. Not that I would know.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment