Friday, December 31, 2010

Inge Fricke's Potato Casserole


Dear Laney,

This post has absolutely nothing to do with you, except that you thought these potatoes were super-delicious, and I thought this would be the easiest way to pass along the recipe.

We got this recipe from 80+ year-old Inge Fricke at my boss' wedding in Vermont a few years ago. I asked the lovely German lady how she managed to look so good after making food that even Paula Deen would think was sinful. She said "Oh dear, I don't eat it." She also cross country skis umpteen miles a day, so there's that.

There's probably a lesson in there somewhere, but I'm too busy eating potatoes to find it.

Love,
Mom

INGE FRICKE'S POTATO CASSEROLE

1 Large bag Oreida Hashbrowns*
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
2 cups grated sharp cheddar
1 small onion, chopped
1 stick butter or margarine, melted & divided
1 cup of sour cream
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients together and spread evenly in casserole dish.
Bake one hour at 350 degrees.

* I have no idea what she's calling "large." I used a 30 ounce bag, and thought it came out just a little on the soupy side, and could have used more potatoes. Something around 45 ounces of hashbrowns would probably be ideal.

No comments:

Post a Comment