Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Day



Dear Laney,

Since Valentine's Day fell on a Monday this year, your dad and I decided to celebrate on Saturday night. We exchanged gifts, and you helped me open my brand new waffle iron, which I loved almost as much as the hard drive I exchanged it for. We gave your dad a pair of bindings for his cross-country skis, and he pretended to be shocked and surprised, even though last week he got to listen to me call every REI west of the Mississippi 'til I found one that still had those suckers in stock.


After putting you to bed, we watched a mediocre movie set in Chinatown (not to be confused with "Chinatown," which is an excellent movie that is not set in Chinatown), and ate a buffet of potstickers and spring rolls. I've really been into cooking ethnic food lately. Next up: Jewish deli.

Yesterday - on Valentine's Day - I played hooky from work so we could attend the party at your school. I got to meet all of the kids you normally play with. What boggles my mind is that you are one of TWO "Delaney"s in your class. WHAT?!? Kids had to address their Valentines to either "Delaney M." or "Delaney B." I have cleared up the confusion in my own head by referring to that other girl as Delaney The Lesser.

We were there for two hours, and I put together a two-minute highlight reel. This one should only be watched by die-hard Laney lovers, because I'll warn you that almost nothing happens. Now, dear readers, imagine that you actually attended the party, which was 60 times longer than this reel. Exactly. Now go get me a beer.


What I thought was brilliant was that Miss Tracy loaded all of the kids up on 8 pounds of sugar just seconds before the normally scheduled pick-up time. Brilliantly Evil? Devilishly Ingenious?

You decide.

Love,
Mom

P.S. Yeah, I think we all know what you want for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment