Wednesday, June 29, 2011

'Wimmin'! 'Wimmin'!


Dear Laney,

I have to confess, this whole situation is a mystery to me. For days now, you've been obsessed with swimming. Since we live in a place so cold we could store our groceries outside every month but August, you have actually spent very little time in the water. But that hasn't stopped you from being fixated.


I don't know what brought this whole phase on. My guess is that Dora the Explorer went to the beach to save a baby crab and its family, and as a result, you developed a perfect pretend breaststroke. You windmill your arms while yelling, "wimmin!" It's nice that you narrate it for us, because the first few times you did it, I had no idea what in God's name you were doing.


Last night, you were so determined to go wimmin that you climbed into the dogs' water bucket and called it a win.


Man, you were proud of yourself.


Ella was mostly perplexed, but Gus was willing to work around you.



The latest incarnation of this madness came this morning, when you pulled your grandmother's bathing suit out of who knows where, and brought it to me, declaring. "wim oot." Yep, that's a swimsuit all right. I went ahead and dressed you in Peg Peg's bathing suit and got her on the webcam so she could see.


Before I even had a chance to tell her what was going on, Peg Peg said, "My, that's a mature sundress." I can't wait to use that line on her next time she wears it.

Tomorrow morning, we leave on a road trip for the Tetz family reunion in Colorado. Even though we don't have to, I've made reservations for us to spend the night in a hotel in Utah along the way. You know why? Because they have a swimming pool, and I'm tired of hearing about 'wimmin the best mom in the history of the world.*

Love,
Mom

* Minus the times when I let you hang out in slobbery dog water.

1 comment: