Saturday, December 31, 2011

Back When We Were Idiots



Dear Hagen,

Ever since we brought you home, you've been an absolute dream. You sleep for long stretches, and you hardly ever fuss. It's starting to seem like Laney got my personality, and you got your dad's. No matter what the crisis, your dad always says, "It's not the end of the world." Laney, like me, thinks more along the lines of WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE and WHO'S IN CHARGE and THAT'S IT - I'M WRITING A STRONGLY-WORDED LETTER. But anything short of actual Armageddon gets the same "eh" response from you and your dad.

You're happy to nap when your sister naps, or just hang out like a sack of potatoes.



We can't help but compare this to the first time we brought a newborn home. And it's more about us being different than it is about you being different. I'd like to think we're no longer idiots. When we brought your sister home, we never slept. We were so afraid Laney was going to be uncomfortable or cold or hungry that we stayed up and monitored her. Stupid. I had a Mom/Martyr complex, and I didn't allow your dad to help me. Boneheaded. I didn't take pain medication because I hate the idea of someone taking care of me. Idiotic.

This time around, I put your dad in charge of just about everything, and it's really paying off. He's even using the chalkboard doors on our pantry to track my medications, your feedings, etc. - all in military time. At least I think that's what he's doing. It's equally possible he's launching a submarine in the Straits of Hormuz.


We're so glad to have you home, and so glad for all the lessons your sister taught us on how to take care of a baby.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment