Sunday, December 18, 2011

Doing Stuff



Dear Laney,

A few years ago, when your dad and I were still dating, Peg Peg and Tex came for a visit to check out Montana. Your dad was so anxious about them having a good time that he kept suggesting super! fun! exciting! outdoor activities that they might want to try. Hiking? Rafting? Canoeing? Whatever you want - we'll do it! It was obvious he was working himself to death - bless his heart - until my mother finally took pity on him, put her hand on his shoulder and said, "Thor, honey, we don't do stuff."

In the summer of 2009, your grandfather Philip came to visit, and we drove him over to Lookout Pass to ride bikes on the Hiawatha Trail. After we'd parked and had started to unload, we noticed that the cars behind us had Alabama plates with Auburn stickers. Philip said, "We should avoid that group - they're going to be trouble. People from Auburn are going to have absolutely no idea what they're doing here."

All this to say that 50% of your genetic material has been handed down from people who could best be described as indoorsy. You need a glass of tea, a mayo-based casserole, an afternoon of gossip or a lesson on how to apply lipstick, we're your demographic. But as a general rule, my people aren't the type to ever walk uphill on purpose or run without first being chased.

Imagine my surprise that you seem to be taking after your dad and enjoying doing stuff. On purpose, even. This morning, you guys loaded up the dogs and the sled and headed off into the wilderness.




And here I am, making my family proud by pouring myself an iced tea and blogging about it.

Love,
Mom


2 comments:

  1. Dearest Laney;

    Your Mom is taking considerable license with this post. What she fails to mention is that on bicycles we headed straight up the mountain. Must have been 50+ miles to the top. While your Mom and Dad flitted with the flora and the fauna, I zoomed past them, and, I must say everyone else, to be the first to the top. I must admit, the Auburn people were not far behind. I, of course, did not let on to the "War Eagles" that I lived just over an hour from where they matriculated. I let them think that I was from Idaho, (you will learn that it is quite easy to convince Auburn grads of stuff like that). Well, I convinced the Aubs that we should have a race to the bottom of the mountain.(If I remember correctly, your Mom and Dad took the T-BAR down). Well, of course I was the first to base and could not resist a simple "ROLL TIDE"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laney,

    Some of your grandparents are more exhausting than others.

    -Mom

    ReplyDelete